For many homeowners, having a dishwasher in your kitchen is an absolute must. Not only do dishwashers help with the stress of having to manually clean dishes, but they can be a great budget friendly investment too. If you are looking for space, or looking to shave a couple bucks off your water bill, it wouldn’t be a bad move to look at investing in the best portable dishwasher.
In today’s article, we are going to go over why every homeowner should consider looking at the best portable dishwasher to add to their kitchen. After that, we have listed our top picks that have made our list of the best portable dishwasher. So without further delay, let’s get started.
What Are Portable Dishwashers?
A portable dishwasher is exactly what it sounds like. They are powerful units that can be moved from one location to another. Having the best portable dishwasher can be very much appreciated as it can offer the same power and efficiency as the built-in models. The draw is that they are also easy to move if you are limited on space. All of the best portable dishwashers come with wheels so they can easily be transported if you have no need for it.
Why Might You Want to Invest in the Best Portable Dishwasher?
If you just aren’t sure, or are on the fence about investing in the best portable dishwasher, then check out these reasons that homeowners absolutely love theirs.
They Are Cost Effective
Generally speaking, the average dishwasher uses about 3 gallons of water for one load. If you were to wash the same load by hand, it is estimated that an average of 27 gallons of water gets used. That’s nearly 9 times the water consumption! If you don’t already have a dishwasher, then you may want to reconsider this as they can be a true budget saver. Also, if you are shopping for a dishwasher for your home, then it is even more important that you consider purchasing a portable one. The best portable dishwasher will often cost much less than its stationary counterpart. Not only that, the best portable dishwasher will often come with the same features as the stationary kind too.
They Are a Space Saver
For other homeowners, the reality of a small kitchen may be the reason you might want to invest in the best portable dishwasher. Portable dishwashers usually come equipped with wheels. These wheels allow you to relocate your washer from one location to another.
If you like having your portable dishwasher out, then you may want to consider shopping for one that offers a butcher’s block on top. This wooden top allows you to have extra counter space for whatever it is that you might need. Overall, if you are limited on space, you can always create more by having the best portable dishwasher that you can simply wheel away.
They Make Your Life Easier
Ask any parent and they will tell you that there is nothing worse than having to stand in front of the kitchen sink for hours doing dishes. If this describes your household, then having the best portable dishwasher could be the answer to your prayers. Because they can take on relatively the same load as many standard dishwashers, you no longer have to stand for hours on end at the sink. Save your time, and your fingers by having this wonderful appliance do all the hard work for you.
They are Simple to Set Up
For the most part, installing portable dishwasher is much like installing a standard sized, stationary one. For the most part, you will simply need to loosen the aerator away from the kitchen sink. Then, install the faucet adapter that came with your portable dishwasher. The adaptar will usually be unique to your own portable dishwasher. Install the hoses and position the collar ring so that it attaches to your fauces. Then, plug up your portable dishwasher and your should be good to go. Of course, this is the basic way to install your portable dishwasher. Be sure to always read your portable dishwasher’s instructions so that installation is done safely and properly.
When you set you your portable dishwasher, you have the option of keeping the set up permanent. If this is the case, then you will want to move your portable dishwasher close to your kitchen sink so that there are no increased risks of complications with your unit. If not, then know that you can usually disassemble your portable dishwasher with as much ease as it took to assemble it.
The Best Portable Dishwasher: Our Top Picks
Now that you have a general understanding of why having the best portable dishwasher might be a great investment, let’s take a look at our top picks of the best units on the market. While there are certainly a lot of manufacturers of such appliances, and they all have a number of portable units, There are four that really stood out to us. Let’s take a look at what they are and why we love them.
1. EdgeStar BIDW1802WH 8 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Dishwasher
If you are looking for the best portable dishwasher to replace an existing built-in dishwasher, then the EdgeStar BIDW1802WH 8 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Dishwasher is a great option to go with. Not only is it a great alternative to a standard sized dishwasher, but it is also very energy efficient too. This dishwasher comes in three finishes; white, black, and silver. You will have the ability to accommodate up to 8 place settings. Also, there is a handy silverware basket that will keep your silverware all in one place and a cup tray.
This unit measures out to 17.75 inches wide and is the perfect size if you are looking to swap out your old dishwasher for something more practical. Homeowners can look forward to 6 wash cycles: Glass, Rapid, Rinse, Heavy, Normal, and Eco. You will also have the ability to sanitize, add high temperature was and also heat dry too.
There are a couple of safety features in place as well with this unit. If there is a leak that is ever detected in the assembly, then the leakage sensor will alert you to this. It is also rather quiet when in use. The 52 dB operation is often less disturbing than that of many stationary dishwashers.
Lastly, this unit weighs only 52 pounds. Although it can be used as a permanent fixture, you can move it away if you are no longer in need of it. Overall, the EdgeStar BIDW1802WH 8 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Dishwasher can be a great option to go with if you are looking to make the transition from a built in dishwasher to a more portable one.
- Has eight-place setting capacity
- Removable silverware basket.
- Six different wash cycles so you get the type of clean you’re looking for.
- Energy Star certified.
- Stainless steel spray arm
- Stainless steel tub.
- Features a sleek and seamless design.
- Measures 32.5 inches by 17.6 inches by 22.4 inches
- Weighs 52 pounds.
- Easy to follow set up instructions
- Easy to operate.
- Can fit in a small kitchen.
- The dishwasher’s energy efficiency is certified by Energy Star.
- Although this unit is rather lightweight, id does not have wheels
2. GE GSC3500DWW 25″ Portable Dishwasher
Popular appliance brand GE is known for making stellar appliances. Their portable units are no different. One of the best portable dishwashers the brand has put out as of yet is the GE GSC3500DWW Console Dishwasher. What makes this the best portable dishwasher is the fact that it packs the punch of a built in unit without having to be bulky or large.
The GE GSC3500DWW Console Dishwasher features an auto sense cycle that allows you to save energy on your washing load. There are five wash cycles that you can choose from. There is a Heavy Wash, Rinse, Plate Warmer, Normal Wash, and Pots and Pans. What makes this dishwasher unique is the fact that you have the ability to wash pots and pans. Most times, you will find that portable dishwashers do not allow you this luxury because of size limitations.
When it comes to the dimensions of this unit, it is a bit heavy at 147 pounds. And, it is a bit larger than most as it measures out to 27 x 24.9 x 36.4 inches. This rather large sizing may be a bit tricky to store away when you do not need it. However, the extra size allows you the opportunity to get more washed when you do operate it. Unlike many portable dishwashers, the GE GSC3500DWW Console Dishwasher can carry up to 12 place settings.
With all those place settings, you can count on any extra food or grime trapped on plates to be discarded with the heavy duty disposal that grinds up excess food into little tiny parts. These food particles can then easily be washed away so that you do no have to deal with any cleanup or blockage.
Lastly, what makes this perhaps the best portable dishwasher is the fact that it has a laminate woodgrain top. This top allows you to have extra counter space if your kitchen is in need of it. While it is not a traditional butchers block, it is a great addition to your kitchen.
- Five wash cycles including heavy wash, rinse only, plate warmer, normal wash and pots and pans.
- Measures 27” by 24.9” by 36.4” while weighing 147.7 pounds.
- Has a woodgrain laminate top – a durable surface.
- Includes up to 12 place setting capacity.
- Energy Star rated.
- Power scrub wash system.
- Simple front controls, a dial and four touch pads.
- 10 year manufacturer warranty on major parts.
- Two stage filtration with extra fine filter.
- Plastic tub and door liner.
- Powerful motor that runs quietly.
- Includes a drain hose, removable deluxe silverware basket, self-cleaning filter and castor wheels.
- Easy to use and install
- Does a great job washing the utensils.
- Water and energy efficient.
- Solid track record for reliability.
- Maintenance and cleaning is effortless.
- A little bit pricier (if you’re on a budget).
- This unit is a bit larger than many of the other portable dishwashers on the market today.
3. SPT SD-9241SS Portable Dishwasher, 18-Inch
No products found.
When you are shopping around for the best portable dishwasher, you can not go far without running into the ever popular SPT SD – 9241SS Energy Star Portable Dishwasher. This unit is rated as the best portable dishwasher by so many, when you look at all that is has to offer, it is no wonder why.
The SPT SD – 9241SS Energy Star Portable Dishwasher offers users 6 wash cycles. There is the All in 1, Heavy, Normal, Light, Rinse, and Speed. You can get the right amount of clean for your dishes without having to expend any extra energy.
Unlike many other competitors, this is the best portable dishwasher because it comes with adjustable racks. This can be great if you need to wash pots and pans. Often times, portable dishwashers do not accommodate for this extra space, but with the SPT SD – 9241SS Energy Star Portable Dishwasher you get that flexibility.
Installation of this unit is rather easy and quick too. The easy to use faucet adapter allows you to set up your portable dishwasher in a snap.
When it comes to the dimensions, this unit measures in at 121 lbs. It is also a great size at 26 inches x 17.7 inches x 36 inches. And because it has wheels, you can roll it around to any location in your kitchen. When you are done using it, you can roll it away for storage pretty easily as well.
- A tall tub fits up-to 8 place settings.
- For quick and simple connection, the dishwasher comes with a faucet adapter.
- Automatic detergent and rinse agent dispenser.
- Time delay feature that allows you to program the dishwasher to start washing at a particular time of the day (ranging from 1-24 hours).
- Six wash programs.
- The upper rack is adjustable to accommodate large dishes.
- A full panel digital control console
- Error alarm.
- The interior is made of durable stainless steel.
- Rinse aid warning indicator.
- 3 ft drain tube and casters.
- A removable spray arm on the bottom and another just below the top tray.
- Energy Star compliant.
- During a normal cycle, it uses around 3.65 gallons of water and heats the water up-to 154 degrees F.
- This dishwasher holds a fairly large amount of utensils and is very easy to use.
- Connects to any kitchen faucet thereby eliminating the need for permanent installation or even direct plumbing.
- Comes with a one year warranty on labor and major parts for peace of mind.
- No need for pre-rinse.
- Can accommodate large items such as pots and pans.
- Some customers reported that it does not dry the dishes 100%.
4. Frigidaire 1821MB Portable Dishwasher
Our last pick of the best portable dishwasher comes from Frigidaire. The Frigidaire 1821MB Portable Dishwasher is one of the best portable units to have in your home for a variety of reasons. For starters. This portable dishwasher comes from a trusted and durable brand. Your unit is sure to last you several years.
When it comes to cleaning, there are 6 wash cycles you can look forward to. One of which is an energy saving option. The easy to use cleaning cycle options make cleaning up after a meal an absolute breeze. And when it is in function, you will enjoy the low level noise that this portable dishwasher provides.
Inside this portable dishwasher you will find great features such as a stainless steel interior that provides you with the durability you need. For even more interior space, users will enjoy the SpaceWise silverware basket that keeps all your utensils in one place. If you need to get your dishes started later than you want, you will also find the delay start feature helpful, that way, you doing your dishes can be more insync with your schedule.
All these great features including an overall great design make the The Frigidaire 1821MB Portable Dishwasher one of the best portable dishwashers to invest in for your home.
When it comes to the dimensions of this unit, you can look forward to a compact size of 26 inches x 17.7 inches x 36 inches. This unit also weighs in at just a little over 120 pounds. This makes it rather easy to move around and store away if you need to.
- Durable stainless steel interior that offers you exceptional durability with each wash
- A quiet performance with every load
- SpaceWise silverware basket keeps all your utensils in one place
- 6 Easy to use cleaning cycle options
- Delay start allows you to set your dishwasher to run on your own schedule
- Ready select options with the touch of a button make for ease of use
- Low rinse aid light indicator
- China dna Crystal Cycle allows you to wash delicate dinnerware with reduced wash pressure
- Exceptional dish washing.
- Quiet operation.
- A range of cycle options are available for all your dinnerware
- Very portable.
- The wheels are not that durable but otherwise this unit is very good and worth every penny.
Final Thoughts on the Best Portable Dishwasher
With the rise of tiny homes and smaller kitchen spaces in general, it is no wonder why having the best portable dishwasher in your home is a no brainer. If you are searching for the best portable dishwasher for your home, then you do not have to look far. Our top four picks are easily some of the best that you can find on the market right now. Try them out for yourself and we are sure you will not be disappointed.