As it turns out, the type of detergent you use can affect the effectiveness of your dishwasher.
Finding the best dishwasher detergent is however not a simple task. With many new brands being introduced on the market every day, even the most experienced shopper will have a problem figuring out which product is suitable to use.
That is why I found it wise to share a quick review of three of the best dishwasher detergents based on their features, pros and cons.
And for those of you that still need to wash some utensils or casseroles by hand, in the sink, at the end of this guide you’ll find the review of the best dish soap for hand washing – the Puracy 100% Natural.
1.Finish Powerball Tabs Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- World's #1 Recommended Brand* (*Recommended by more dishwasher brands worldwide)
- No need to pre-soak or pre-rinse with Powerball cuts through grease & scrubs away burnt & dried-on food
- Finish Powerball Tabs are 3X concentrated cleaning power of regular Finish powder
- All-in-one tabs that are designed to soak and eliminate spots and films with minimal scrubbing required.
- 90 tabs per box.
- It dissolves quick and washes away residue providing a clear shine even when water is scarce.
- It is available in a variety of fresh scents including lemon sparkle, baking soda and original.
- Features advanced technology which gives it the power to bleach out tough stains like tea and coffee without damaging utensils.
- Each package of tablets is individually packaged for ease of use and for maintenance of a fresh scent.
- The product is biodegradable and is completely safe even in the septic systems.
- Easy-to-use tabs. Only one tablet is required per wash and it dissolves completely in the wash cycle.
- Easy to use tablets. Tips, hints and ingredients list is provided on the manufacturer’s website for reference.
- Tablets dissolve easily with no residue left.
- The product is safe for human use and it has been proven to be up to standards in various consumer reports.
- The product guarantees jet clean dryness and a sparkling shine on the dishes.
- Designed to suit different water situations (can serve well in hard and soft water).
- Beautifully packaged. Tablets are individually packaged for one time use with each washing session.
- Highly effective. A single box can last for up to 90 dishwashing sessions.
- Reasonably priced.
- You need scissors to open the individually wrapped tablets and this is can be a little bit bothersome.
- You need to clean your dishwasher frequently to get rid of a sludge that might accumulate over time.
2.Cascade All-in-1 Dishwasher Detergent Actionpacs
- Powers away 48-hour stuck-on food
- ActionPacs are formulated with the grease-fighting power of Dawn
- Rinse aid action with Shine Shield formula rinses away residues and leaves brilliant shine
- Combines the cleaning action of powder with grease fighting power to clean food particles that have stuck on dishes.
- It is available in a variety of scents and sizes namely: citrus, lemon and fresh.
- Features Cascade Rinse Aid power which effectively protects glass dishes from filming and spotting – thereby delivering a dazzling touch of shine.
- The pacs are super easy to use and they can actually help deal with limescale buildup in addition to eliminating odors lurking in your dishwasher.
- Ability to wash out even the most stubborn stains from tea and coffee.
- The formula is highly concentrated and is designed to give you a simple way to dose the detergent with no need of pre-measuring.
- You don’t need to prewash the dishes. The formula contained in this advanced cleaning product is sufficient.
- Formulated with built-in rinse aid action.
- It contains water softeners which help prevent hard water deposits from forming on dishes.
- Easy to use. You simply load your machine, pop in a tablet and go.
- Highly concentrated, meaning that each tablet can clean a tub-full of dirty dishes.
- The tablets may get stuck on one another when any moisture penetrates the container.
- They may be dangerous if ingested.
- You may need to re-run the dishwasher again with clean water to remove the residue completely particularly if you use hard water.
3.Seventh Generation Natural Dishwasher Detergent Gel
- Seventh Generation Lemon Dishwasher Detergent Gel advanced cleaning technology cuts through grease leaving dishes...
- A dishwasher detergent with a safe* and effective formula made with plant-based ingredients
- This Dishwasher gel is free of synthetic fragrances, chlorine, phosphate, and dyes
- It contains a plant-based enzyme system that is certified by the USDA.
- It is chlorine-free and phosphate-free meaning it is non-toxic.
- Free of dyes and synthetic fragrances. It emits no harsh fumes either.
- Easy to use with simple instructions to follow.
- Quite effective even in hard water provided one uses it with Rinse Aid products.
- The product is packaged in a bottle that is made of 100% recycled plastic.
- 1/2 full cup is enough to clean a whole load of dishes.
- Each 1/2 full cup contains a highly concentrated gel that is capable of matching the effectiveness of 4 to 6 tablets.
- Its fragrances are plant-based comprising of botanical extracts and essential oils.
- Suitable for hard-water use.
- Leaves dishes shining and scent-free.
- Has been certified by various organizations.
- Comes with easy-to-use instructions.
- Safe for your health and its residue may not be as harmful as other formulations.
- More of it is required when using hard water.
- May struggle removing lip stick stains.
- May leave a white film on silicone items if too much of it is used in soft water.
As I promised, here is the review of the best manual dishwashing detergent:
Puracy Natural Liquid – the best hand-washing dish soap
- "The Best Dish Soap You Can Buy" - Business Insider
- SUPERIOR CLEANING POWER: Quickly Cuts Through Grease, Naturally Softens Your Skin, Fast-Rinsing Suds, Spot-Free Surfaces...
- THE ONLY DISH SOAP WITHOUT SULFATES: Advanced plant-based ingredients produce mounds of deep-cleaning suds (without...
- Non-toxic and safe for family. It’s a good option to ordinary dish soaps which are made with harsh drying sulfates and petroleum.
- It’s ingredients and biodegradable, plant-based and effective for all household products.
- Contains ultra concentrated gel of which just one teaspoon is needed to clean a sink-full of dishes.
- Its formula is tough enough for pans and pots, while still gentle enough for cutting boards and cups.
- No sulfates, phosphates, parabens, caustics, dyes, MEA, DEA, SLES, TEA, SLES or animal by-products used.
- Contains Himalayan Pink Sea Salt which restores balance and purifies the skin.
- A whole bottle (16 fl. Oz, 473Ml) can clean 160 sinks full of dirty dishes.
- Packaged in an original bottle whose artwork was hand-drawn by local artists.
- 100% developed by doctors.
- Gentle on your skin yet effective on dishes.
- Biodegradable ingredients that are plant-based and therefore 100% safe for the environment.
- Highly powerful, you only need a small amount of it to clean a sink full of dirty dishes.
- It’s aromatherapy-like smell may be a turn-off to some.
- A lot of it is required to remove excess grease on dishes.
- Doesn’t lather much and it is difficult to tell when to add more of it.
Whether you are looking for an environmentally friendly product or one that is capable of tackling the dirtiest dishes, it is important to always prioritize quality.
The best dishwasher detergent is one that is safe for your family, eco-friendly and highly effective per wash.
Overall, Cascade All-in-1 Dishwasher Detergent seems to carry the day on this list.