If you are here, then you are looking for the best dishwasher. The good news is that you are in the right place. My name is George Danir and I review all dishwashers you can now find on the market. I have extensive experience working as a quality assurance manager for more than 10 years now.
In this time I’ve accumulated valuable knowledge on most mainstream kitchen appliances so rest assured, I can offer an accurate description of the quality of a particular product.
Also, you should know from the start that we are not affiliated to any of the dishwashers brads so we have no interest in promoting one or the other.
I started this blog as a passion and my goal is to transform it into a community where people will share an honest opinion on dishwashers so that we can all learn and we can all benefit from the knowledge gathered here.
How Can This Website Help You?
So, back to you now.
You are looking for a dishwasher that will perfectly fit your needs.
I get that!
I’ve invested a lot of resources on this website and I am confident that this is the place where you’ll find the one for you. It’ll be an easy process if you follow the reviews here.
This website provides definitive guides and a knowledge base section filled with “how to’s” and related advice.
But first, let’s take a look at the best models:
This Is the Structure of My Reviews:
- General introduction of the dishwasher model and information on the manufacturer
- A detailed section describing the general features
- What are the special features of the dishwasher that is reviewed and observations on how it did during testing – in other words, what makes this one special, or makes it stand out from the crowd
- A collection of the most relevant customer reviews gathered from a couple of different sources, where communities have developed and people share their experience with these products.
- My personal conclusion derived from the testing and a graph where I rate the most important facts about the dishwasher. You’ll get a better feel for the usability, overall quality, customer rating, wash efficiency, warranty, price and more and a Final Score that concludes it all. I use a proprietary system that is the most complex in the market in reviewing dishwashers and other kitchen appliances. I’ve put in this model my entire experience earned as a quality assurance manager so rest assured all of this is well researched.
- A short section where I list the Pros and Cons.
- A short video review of the product, in case you prefer it over reading.
Our Proprietary Rating System Explained – What Is a DGR (Dishwashers Guide Rating)?
Before starting this website I spent a couple of weeks just researching what other people cover in their reviews and what are their recommendations. It seemed to me that it all was a little wishy-washy.
What I mean is that most of the guys out there reviewing dishwashers do not have an exact model, a system that they follow in their process and this leads to biased opinions.
The whole point of doing these reviews and testing is that I want to offer a simple and objective view of a product without being biased. So the need for a rating model arose.
My time spent in the office, checking out all aspects a product must meet in order to assure quality, helped a lot in the process. I came up with a complex model that I started implementing, one that is above all you can find at this particular time in the market.
Here are the 10 main aspects that I considered for the final version of the DGR:
- Control Console of the dishwasher – important because of the user interaction, friendliness, and versatility
- Wash Cycles – how fast and economic is the product. Energy efficiency was taken into consideration as well
- Wash Efficiency – are the dishes clean? Did it really perform as expected?
- Detergent Dispenser – detergent efficiency and advanced features like automatization.
- Special Features – does it have a special feature, one that will make it stand out?
- Usability – easy to use? Easy to program? Easy to maintain?
- Overall Quality – the quality of the materials used and design aspects
- Customer Rating – reviews and ratings gathered from thousands of real people that used this dishwasher model
- Warranty – it says a lot about the quality of a product.
- Price – does it worth the money? Should I or shouldn’t I invest in it?
So, there you go after I came up with this model the whole reviewing process was made simple and precise. It offered clarity. And like Robin Sharma says “Clarity precedes mastery”. I, for one, would like to have clarity on the features and quality of my dishwasher before I buy it and that clarity brings me mastery in my decision making.
Also, one thing to be noted is that I am not alone here. I am part of a team of highly capable people that have backgrounds in technology, sales, product quality and design. They help a lot in testing and offer invaluable insight.
What Are the Best Dishwashers on the Market Today? – Simply, These Are My Recommendations of the Best Ones
The first thing I want to note here is that this list is subject to change because of the fact that I will constantly update it with the better performing dishwashers. So, at the time of reading this rest assured it is updated and these really are the best models available.
If you don’t have the time to invest into researching each model then just buy one of these and rest assured that you have made a smart decision.
We’ve put off a lot of time into selecting these exact models and we based our choice on hundreds of customer reviews and ratings, pros and cons of these products, general features and special ones (things that make a particular model stand out), usability (we got a lot of insight from actual hands-on testing these dishwashers), power efficiency, washing efficiency, warranty, quality of the materials used in manufacturing them and also my personal insight about manufacturers and what happens behind the scenes.
Here Are the Mini-Reviews for the Best Dishwasher Brands
To keep things short and relevant I have included in the mini-reviews here the most important aspects of these products and why they are the winners of their category. I have also included the DGR score of each. If you are looking for more information just follow the links to their full review.
The Best Fully Integrated Model: The Bosch SHP865WD5N 500 Series
Awarded best fully integrated model in the middle price range.
This is a fully integrated model, and it is appreciated as the best mid-range solution for a typical household.
It’s a stainless steel dishwasher that has a 10 years warranty on major components.
You can get this one for about $900 but discounts are available. For the money, it’s the quieter dishwasher out there, more silent than the $1000+ worth models. It has a hidden console that adds to its great overall design and has extra space that fits more pots and frying pans correctly so that the water jets will reach them easy and clean them thoroughly.
The Bosch SHP865WD5N is truly the winner two-rack model in this price range, but if you want to save some money you can also consider purchasing the Bosh Ascenta. The only downside to this cheaper model is that it is a little noisier and it has less rack space for the dishes. The good news is that you can save approx. $200.
This Bosch dishwasher scored 98 out of 100 in the DGR system. In other words, this is the best fully integrated model, the one that we and hundreds of other satisfied customer recommend.
The Best Dishwasher for Portability: Danby DDW1801WP
Awarded best portable dishwasher
As with any other portable model, its main feature is that you can easily connect it to the kitchen water faucet. This makes for a great compromise when you don’t have space for a fully built in 24-inch model. It has wheels so when you are not using it you can easily put it aside, into storage, and free up some space for other kitchen appliances.
The good news is that this Danby dishwasher model is very efficient and it costs half to the price of the Bosch SHP65T55UC. It is Energy Star compliant and features enough space to fit in the entire silverware and dishes of a medium-sized family. It has 8 place setting capacity and a water-softener system that is built in.
Its installation type is free standing and it has a full panel control console that features all wash cycles that a regular family would normally use. Its cleaning efficiency is outstanding and has a rather interesting design that matches most traditional décor kitchens.
This Danby dishwasher scored 97 out of 100 points in our DGR score. If you are looking for a portable solution this is the one for you. If for any reason you don’t like it, then the runner-up is the Sunpentown SD-9241SS – a great product by a trusted brand.
The Best 24-inch Model: KitchenAid KDTE204DSS
Awarded best 24-inch built-in dishwasher for the home cookers
This is a great addition to the kitchen of a chef or for families where home cooking is important.
It’s a little more expensive than the Bosch SHP65T55UC but I think that you will find that the extra features and technologies are worth every penny.
This ARCHITECT Series II model has 6 Pro Wash Cycles that the more technically inclined people will adore. This is best for oversized pans and pots and has excellent cleaning performance so you don’t need to worry about pre-rinsing. You just put the dirty dishes inside, push start and then just sit back and check out your Facebook account while the hard work is done.
Due to its sheer size, the loading is done really easy and it features a full third rack to stack up with anything you like washed.
The usual complaints about this particular model include factory flaws and package damages during transportation, so nothing actually related to the quality of the product itself.
Compared to the Bosh 500 model it does a slightly better job cleaning but they both get rid of the most unpleasant stains and you’ll notice that there is no need for pre-scrubbing.
The Kitchenaid KDTE204DSS has a heated-dry system, which, as we know, compared to a condenser type system will dry the dishes much faster.
This Kitchenaid KDTE204DSS scored 94 out of 100. It’s $200 more than the Bosh model, though it is similar in performance. If you would like a trendier appliance to go for this one, but if you are only interested in the washing efficiency then you can save a couple of hundred bucks and go for the Bosh 500 series.
The Best Value Dishwasher: EdgeStar Energy Star 18″
No products found.
No products found.
Awarded best built-in dishwasher for the low price range
The EdgeStar Energy Star is a medium to high-quality dishwasher but if you are low on cash then you should definitely consider this model.
It’s highly versatile and it will fit a smaller place. It has 6 wash cycles that feature rinsing, glass, normal, speed and heavy. It will clean most spots and, rest assured, for this price range it really does a great job and is an excellent addition to your kitchen.
I usually recommend this model for a medium size family that cooks at home 4-5 times per week.
It will accommodate 8 place settings and has a cup tray and silverware basket.
The control console is presented on the front and it’s not hidden like on the more expensive models and it features a dial selector. For the more traditional kitchen, this is actually a design that will fit better than the more modern ones.
Looking at hundreds of customer ratings and reviews, more than 90% of the customers are really satisfied with the efficiency and overall quality of this product. I searched and found few complaints.
This dishwasher scored 93 out of 100 points in the DGR. It is a very good quality product and it scored less than the other presented here mainly because of its poorer design and lack of advanced washing functions.
What Are the Different Types of Dishwashers?
- Built-in dishwashers – you can choose a compact type or a drawer type
- Portable or countertop dishwashers
- Tall tub
What Are the Best Brands of Dishwashers?
Most manufacturers that produce dishwashers are actually well-established brands that have years of experience in the kitchen appliances area so there is not much gossip here.
I will list here the best brands of dishwashers and the recommended model for each. In time I will have published reviews for each and link to them.
- Bosch – SHP865WD5N 500 24″ Stainless Steel Fully Integrated Dishwasher – Energy Star
- LG – LDF5545ST Fully Integrated Dishwasher, Stainless Steel
- SPT – Countertop Dishwasher
- EdgeStar – Energy Star 18″ Built-In Dishwasher – Stainless Steel
- GE – GDF650SMJES 24″ Slate Full Console Dishwasher – Energy Star
- Avanti – DWE18D1BE Built-In Dishwasher
- Koldfront – 6 Place Setting Portable Countertop Dishwasher
- KitchenAid – Architect Series II 24” 6-Cycle/6-Option Dishwasher
- Miele – Futura Classic Series G4975SCVISF Dishwasher – Stainless Steel
- Frigidaire – FFBD1821MS 18″ Built-In Dishwasher with Stainless Steel Interior and Delay Start
- Amana – ADB1700AD, Tall Tub Dishwasher, Stainless
- Fisher Paykel – DD24DCTX7 DishDrawer 24″ Stainless Steel Semi-Integrated Dishwasher
- Whirlpool – WDF110PAAW 24″ White Full Console Dishwasher – Energy Star
- Electrolux – FPID2498SF Built-In Dishwasher, 24-Inch, Stainless Steel
- Smeg – ST8646U 24 Inch Fully Integrated Dishwasher
So, here you go, these are the big players and their top models. Between them, there are some that perform much better than the other. I will review them all on this website so that you can make an informed decision. All you need to if follow the links to their full review.
How Do I Choose a Dishwasher and How Do I Get My Dishes Clean?
In order to simplify this process, you need to ask yourself these questions. After you’ve answered them all, you’ll be 5 minutes away from purchasing the right one for you.
Do you need a built-in or a countertop model?
How often do you plan to use it? Do you prefer a larger type that will fit in more or is it ok for you to run it more frequently?
Do you like to cook a lot and so do you need your dishwasher to fit in larger pans and pots?
How important are energy efficiency and noise level for you?
So, if you plan to use the dishwasher once every 3-4 days and you have enough space to fit it in, then I would recommend going for a build in dishwasher type of 24-inch.
On the other hand, if you do not need the larger type and you are not that much into cooking, then a portable or countertop model will fit your needs better. Most countertop dishwasher models connect to the water faucets very easy and they have wheels to simply get them out of the way if you need the space. This Danby is a great countertop model. I highly recommend it.
Here are some other things to take into consideration:
- Capacity and functionality – how many racks are there? Adjustable racks with fold-down tines are excellent features
- A set of nylon-coated racks is a big bonus
- Power and water consumption
- Washing programs and air-dry option – eco-friendly or not
- Soil sensor – dictates dishwasher to end or extend a wash cycle based on the amount of grime in the wash water
- Warranty, support – a high-quality customer service is important and over the phone technical support can easily get you out of trouble.
There are a lot of technologies out there but usually, I look for these washing cycles. They get the job done:
- Steam Clean
- Glass or Crystal Care Cycle
- NSF Certified Sanitizing Rinse
- Extra Rinse
Dishwasher Installation, Designs, and Finishes
Installing a dishwasher can be easy or can require help from a professional. The portable models can be installed easily and require no technical skills, though the fully integrated (build in) ones could pose some problems.
We all know that design is important, and not only for the looks but also it plays an important role in the functionality of a dishwasher.
Before considering the build in models you need to take a closer look at the colors and overall aspect of your current kitchen furniture and design to see that it fits well. For the countertop models, among of the best lookers are the stainless steel and bisque ones, but you can easily find silver, white and black ones.
Be careful if you go for the stainless steel as it easily attracts fingerprints.
I usually go for the models that have a hidden control panel. This is usually positioned on the top edge of the door. It makes for a more clean and modern look overall.
The interior finishes and handles are usually made either of stainless steel or plastic, I usually recommend pocket style handle but recessed and bar handles are available across the range.
What Is Quiet Performance and Energy Efficiency?
The older models tend to make quite a lot of noise and this is disturbing to a lot of people. I, for one, would like to enjoy the pleasant conversation I have with my wife than having the machine polluting me. The good news is that the newer dishwasher modes are very quiet. It differs quite a lot from a manufacturer to the other but, most, nowadays, have sound insulated parts and noise reduction technology. You can barely hear some of them.
It’s actually very simple to find out what is the quiet performance of a particular dishwasher. You just need to check out the technical sheet, specifications or user manual and spot out the part that refers to decibel level (dBA rating). Go for one in the range of 40-50 and rest assured it’s quiet as a mouse.
Regarding energy efficiency, most models today are rated energy star and feature very low power consumption.
Final Thoughts on The Best Dishwasher
I know that buying a dishwasher can raise a lot of questions.
Don’t worry, if you need any other information I will, in time, make this website a complete guide. Be sure to check out the comparison charts and “best of” lists.
There you go, the models I review here are the top and if you are wondering which one I own it’s the Kitchenaid KDTE404DSS. I just love it.
If you still have any other question though, you can just simply shoot me an email and I’ll make sure to offer my support within 24 hours.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.